There’s currently a high priority for hospitals: lowering readmissions for high-risk patients. Healthcare Financial Management Association’s article “Two Ways Hospitals Can Reduce Avoidable Readmissions” shares that effective initiatives from several hospitals with low 30-day rehospitalizations are, to a certain extent, the result of collaborating with inpatient and outpatient care providers, like Harmony Home Health & Hospice, who can supply a continuum of care with professional geriatric and pediatric private duty nursing services.
The hospitals mentioned in the article shared the tips below to help reduce rehospitalizations:
- Begin preparing for a patient’s discharge from a hospital visit on the day of admission. When a senior is hospitalized, contact a home healthcare agency, like Harmony Home Health & Hospice, to arrange for in-home care upon discharge. Patient outcomes are improved when home healthcare services are available as early as possible following discharge.
- Identify patients who may be at high risk for problems after discharge for additional care coordination and/or case management services. (Ensure social workers visit all patients age 80 and over to assist with care needs.)
- Use technology to assess, track, or refer patients.
- Perform a thorough evaluation of the patient’s risk factors, care needs, available resources, understanding and management of the disease or condition, and degree of family support.
At Harmony Home Health & Hospice, top providers of the geriatric and pediatric home nursing care in Ogden and the surrounding areas that families need, we realize how critical it is to create a transitional care plan in order to reduce the risk of hospital readmissions for seniors. We help clients plan for care needs starting on day one of their hospital visit, monitoring their health and ensuring that care plans are implemented as soon as they return home. Contact us at 1-877-I-NEED-CARE (1-877-463-3322) or complete our online contact form to learn more about how we can help those you love transition from hospital to home through professional home healthcare services such as:
- Providing training and assistance with chronic condition management
- Managing medications so they are taken exactly as prescribed
- Meeting skilled nursing needs, such as with infusions, wound care, and more
- Assisting with coordination and balance
- And many others
Avoid an unnecessary follow-up hospital visit. Partner with Harmony Home Health & Hospice and our team in home nursing care in Ogden and the surrounding areas!