Reducing Stress for Better Diabetes Management
From sunrise to sunset, a day in the life of those with diabetes is bombarded with a variety of requirements to manage the disease. Between medicines, insulin injections, checking blood sugar levels, physical exercise, and handling nutritional requirements, it’s easy for diabetics to become overwhelmed.
Harmony Home Health & Hospice‘s Salt Lake City area at-home caregivers recognize the obstacles and struggles of diabetes care management, and suggest the following tips to help minimize stress and stay in ideal health:
- Remember, no one is perfect. Effective diabetes care does not mean being perfect with care each and every day. Some days will always be better than other days and it is vitally important to be forgiving for an occasional glucose variation and then learn from any mistakes made along the way.
- Recognize care hurdles. Barriers to diabetes care management may include:
- Requiring more information/education on the most effective diabetes care
- Staying away from situations that could disrupt a care schedule
- Excuses pertaining to not getting enough exercise
- Dietary practices that may be influenced more by emotions than hunger
- Depression or other emotional concerns
- Remain upbeat. Throughout everything, a positive attitude can go a long way. In place of thinking, “I’ll never be able to control my diabetes—I may as well resolve myself to always having health problems,” try thinking, “I didn’t pay close enough attention to my portion sizes at breakfast; that’s why my blood sugar is too high. I am going to plan in advance and keep portion sizes in line with my dietary plan or cover with extra insulin if I consume more than I meant to.”
- Accept help. Friends, family members, and neighbors very often supply a great shoulder to lean on. Simply let them know what is beneficial and what to watch for. In-home care is also an excellent resource for diabetes care support and encouragement.
For additional helpful recommendations on reducing the burden of diabetes care management, or if you’re in need of one of our at home caregivers in Salt Lake City or the surrounding area, call Harmony Home Health & Hospice at 1-877-I-NEED-CARE. Our fully trained and highly skilled aging care team is available to assist with diabetes management, provide wound care, and much more. We’re on hand to help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year according to each person’s specific preferences and schedule. Serving communities throughout the Salt Lake City area as well as in New Mexico, we look forward to helping make life easier and more enjoyable for you and the seniors you love!