As Jane Austen once said, “There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort.” And for anyone with a chronic illness, like multiple sclerosis (MS), comfort is essential, as is remaining safe.
If you or someone you love has been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, seek the support of a professional home health care company with specific expertise in MS-related concerns, who can offer an in-home safety assessment and make the appropriate recommendations for modifications to the home so that it is a safe, comfortable refuge, rather than a dangerous setting.
Multiple sclerosis can cause getting around to be complicated, and since everyday tasks — including recreational activities — can lead to exhaustion more rapidly in people with multiple sclerosis, implementing particular changes to the home environment can help preserve energy and enhance independence.
A few examples include:
- Replace thick carpeting with smooth, nonslip flooring for easier mobility
- Place grab bars strategically throughout the bathroom
- Move furniture to enlarge pathways throughout the residence
- Add items in the tub or shower, like a handheld showerhead, a slip-resistant bath mat, and a tub seat
- Consider adding a bed rail to provide assistance with switching sleep positions
- Replace knobs throughout the home with handles, which are easier to manage
As experts in home health care in Salt Lake City, Utah and nearby areas, Harmony Home Health & Hospice can provide home modification guidelines to ensure your loved one’s home is a more convenient place for independence. Just a few of the many other ways our services can help improve quality of life for someone with multiple sclerosis include:
- Physical and occupational therapy services
- Specialty care services for needs such as
- Balance improvement
- Cardio management
- Home monitoring
- Pain management
- And many others, based on each person’s unique needs
To find out more about our home health care in Salt Lake, Utah and surrounding areas that we serve, contact us at 1-877-I-NEED-CARE (1-877-463-3322). Our team of home care experts can help cae for someone with MS at home, empowering them to life to the fullest each day. To learn about all of the other areas we serve in Utah and New Mexico, please visit our Service Area page.