COVID-19 cases in nursing homes and assisted living facilities were devastating, as the virus spread like wildfire throughout our most vulnerable population who were living together in such close quarters. As a result, many families made the decision to move their elderly parents home, which raised a number of challenges to be overcome.
Harmony Home Health & Hospice, one of top-rated home health agencies in Albuquerque, New Mexico and the surrounding areas, is here to help with the information you need to ensure a smooth transition home for a senior you love. Before the move occurs, answer these questions:
- Is there enough room for the senior to have designated space for privacy?
- How will the move affect other family members? For instance, will one of your children need to give up his/her bedroom and share with a brother or sister?
- If you work outside of the home, who will take care of the senior while you’re gone?
- How will vacations be handled? Will the senior be able to travel with you, or is there a plan you can put into place for respite care?
- Are there any unresolved issues with your aging parent that may impact your ability to provide the best level of care?
- Might there be a problem related to issues such as pets, smoking, or drinking, either on the part of your parent or someone else in the home?
- Do any home alterations need to be made, such as adding grab bars and railings, additional lighting, wheelchair accessibility?
Next, schedule a family meeting. This should include everyone living in the home as well as your siblings or other family members who may want to be involved in the senior’s care. It’s important to provide everyone with the opportunity to air any concerns openly and honestly. After all, bringing your aging parent into your home is a life-changing event for each member of the family.
Once the family is in agreement and on board with the decision, talk with your parent about the idea. Assess whether the senior has been thriving in the social atmosphere of living in a facility, and if he or she will miss the activities and friendships. Reassure the senior that the whole family is thrilled with the idea of inviting him or her home to live, and address any concerns the senior raises.
Most importantly, know that you’re not alone in your new care responsibilities! Harmony Home Health & Hospice is always here to serve as your trusted partner in care, offering as much or as little professional home care assistance as needed.