Thanksgiving is full of temptations to indulge, and it’s easy to convince ourselves that it’s ok to forget about the diet just this once. But for diabetics, even one day of overindulgence can lead to serious health concerns.
That doesn’t mean, however, that diabetics have to miss out on the Thanksgiving feast! At Harmony Home Health & Hospice, providers of trusted Salt Lake City home care services for seniors, we help older adults with diabetes and other conditions that require dietary restrictions with preparation of healthy, delicious meals year-round. And it’s especially important during this festive time of year to come up with creative ways to celebrate without compromising health.
Senior diabetics can keep these tips in mind as they step up to the buffet table this Thanksgiving:
- Veggies first. Start the meal with the healthiest options first, such as steamed or raw vegetables. This will help take the edge off your appetite and prevent impulse eating.
- Choose your favorites. Decide on a special treat, and allow yourself a small portion; then cut back in other areas. For instance, if you choose a dinner roll or mashed potatoes, eliminate other carb options, such as dessert.
- Eat slowly. Take time to savor your favorite dish; it takes up to 20 minutes for your body to feel full, so enjoy every bite!
- Skip the alcohol. Choose non-alcoholic beverages that won’t interfere with meds or cause blood sugar to plummet.
- Stick to a schedule. Veering too far off your normal eating pattern can cause problems. Be sure to fit in a healthy snack if the meal will be served later to keep blood sugar levels stabilized.
- Bring a dish. If visiting friends or family for Thanksgiving, offer to bring along a healthy dish that you know you’ll enjoy.
- Exercise…and rest. The busyness of the holiday season can lead us to skip regular physical activity, but it’s important for diabetics to keep up with a doctor-approved exercise regimen on a consistent basis. Follow that up with at least 7 – 8 hours of sleep per night to stay in optimal health.
If you’d like additional tips to stay healthy throughout the holidays and beyond with diabetes, contact the senior care professionals at Harmony Home Health & Hospice. We’re available with a full range of customized Salt Lake City home care services to ensure older adults are as safe, comfortable, and healthy as possible. Call us at 1-877-I-NEED-CARE (1-877-463-3322) any time to learn more!